Wednesday, July 21, 2010

About me...

So my little bro, who is getting into web design, thinks that I should have an 'About Me' part on the website, explaining why/how the business idea came to be.

Putting thoughts together here.
----------
About Me:

I spent roughly 8 years working with children who have special needs.  I have worked with children ages 18 months through roughly 15 years, in a variety of settings:  public school inclusion, public school self-contained classes, home therapy, and home respite care.  The children I have worked with over the years have disabilities ranging from mild learning difficulties to genetic disorders, and from autism to cerebral palsy, with everything in between.  My circumstances changed, and I moved to a new state.  We decided that it would be best for my family if I were to stay home, rather than look for a job.  I missed being a part of the Special Needs community, though, and spent a lot of time thinking about how to stay involved from home.  That's when I realized that I could put my background, skills, and knowledge to use helping make life better at home for families of children who have disabilities.

One thing we found with all of the children I worked with over the years is that visual supports help them to understand the world around them.   Creating these visual supports was one of my biggest job duties, and one of the most important.  Every child is unique, and this means that the supports that they need at school and at home are unique.  This is where I can help.  I will meet with you and get to know you, and through you, get to know your child.  During our consultation, we will talk about your child's needs, and create a plan for the visuals you need.  Within an agreed upon time frame, I will create proofs for you, personalizing everything for your child.  You will have a chance to check over everything and request changes before I create hard copies for you. 

-----------

If you're reading this, what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment